Friday, 26 June 2009

Friday Favourites: Amy Ryan

This is a new feature that I'll be doing once a week. It will be dedicated to an actor [or singer/director/writer] that I love, usually one that is underrated, or out of the limelight. In light of the Emmy Nominees due within the next month I decided I'd start with someone whose name I hope to see there. None other that Amy Ryan. I'm hoping that Amy Ryan gets a nomination for Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series, for her outstanding work on The Office this year.

Isn't she gorgeous?

I first took note of Amy in Capote where she played the sheriff's star struck, it was a small part in a good film, and I was duly impressed... but it was the next year with her riveting turn in Gone Baby Gone that Amy made her mark on movie audiences. As a hardcore mother of a missing child living on welfare Amy played looked gaunt and tired in the role, a true transformation that warranted her a well deserved Oscar nomination and other awards. It was definitely one of the best performances of the year, and stole the show from her costars. Her next performance was a turn in the underrated gem Before the Devil Knows You;re Dead, which reteamed her with Capote costar Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Holly [aka the female Michael] in The Office

Last year [for me] was a big year as far as Amy was concerned. She guest starred in The Office, for eight episodes and showed an unbelievably good comic timing. I am hoping and praying that the Emmy's give her a nomination, and win for her wonderful performance. Last year, she also gave a great cameo performance opposite Angelina Jolie in Changeling. Playing an imprisoned prostitute Amy gave probably the best female cameo of the year, since despite a short time in a long film, she sticks with you.

She's going to be opposite Matt Damon next in Green Zone, which I am hoping is going to once again show the world her greatness.

On a side note, Amy is a two time Tony Award nominee. Below is a picture of her with Natasha Richardson in the Broadway Revival of A Streetcar Named Desire.

Amy [as Stella] and Natasha Richardson

3 comments:

Alex in Movieland said...

I actually think she should've won the Oscar for Gone Baby Gone. I know there's a lot of love for Tilda Swinton (expecially over at Stinkylulu's when Tilda easily won that smackdown), but Amy was excellent and the one thing to watch in that ben affleck movie attempt.

Encore Entertainment said...

Actually I was on Team Cate that year, but Amy was a close second for me. To be honest it took a while for me to warm up to the love for Tilda, and still it's not that pronounced.

J708 said...

A new yet cute face:)

Hey! check out my ranting and movie blog at

http://whatgiveshuh.blogspot.com/

hope you like it! Love your site.