Thursday, 25 June 2009

Amy Irving in Yentl

It's time to look at the hottie nominee.

Amy Irving in Yentl


Amy Irving is definitely the prettiest of the five nominees. Yentl is a strange film for me. I generally like musicals. Actually, I like very much (West Side Story, Chicago, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins), there are some that are good but I’m a bit meh about (Singin’ In the Rain, A Star is Born, Gigi) and then there are those (one in particular) that I despise (An American in Paris). Yentl probably falls into the middle category. Barbra Streisand’s best (musical) performance for me will always be as Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly! In Yentl Barbra plays a young, Jewish woman who pretends to be a man in order to further studies. She falls in love with a man Mandy Patinkin ( who will always be George to me) who is engaged to a girl – Amy Irving. Hadass also falls in love with Yentl which is part of the main conflict of the movie. The plot is kind of been-there-done-that, but not in a bad way.

This movie is Barbra’s show, and this is not just because she directed the film. The writing is biased towards her, and all the other characters are not particularly realistic, and more importantly none of the other primary cast members have principal singing parts. There is only one scene Barbra is not in, and you still her voice, so it doesn't count. Amy Irving is just weak as Hadass. I suppose in a way she was supposed to be all meek and pious, and in that sense she did well. But when is too much, too much?…it’s just completely ignorable. I sort of wished her character would just die, or just get out of the damn movie, pretty face or not. This was definitely a waste of a supporting actress slot; I just didn’t find this performance appealing in an actress-y sort of way. Amy is just boring, boring, boring, boring. I mean this could have been something for the books.


Kind of off topic, Yentl has one my favourite songs Papa, Can You Hear Me? written by Marilyn Bergman. It’s a good song.

No comments: